Urban Design Collective (UDC) is a collaborative platform for architects, urban designers and planners to create livable cities through participatory planning.
UDC was founded in 2011 as a platform to mobilize those who want to change the way our cities are built. By providing an open platform for young design professionals, who otherwise as individuals are excluded in the city building process, to create and disseminate content, we give them a chance to voice themselves as change-makers for better cities. As a result, UDC has come to be a global community of architects, designers, engineers, artists, writers, photographers and many others who are passionate about cities.
UDC’s approach is best defined as a mix of storytelling, advocacy and demonstration through practice. That apart, our approach is people-centric and aims to bring all the many stakeholders involved in the city building process as equal partners to concur on what makes livable cities. The methods that we employ towards the realization of our goals include-
– URBAN MAPPING AND RESEARCH
– EDUCATION AND CAPACITY BUILDING
– COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND PARTICIPATORY WORKSHOPS
– PUBLIC ART & SOCIALLY ENGAGED ART
– PUBLIC EVENTS PROGRAMMING
– PUBLICATIONS AND SOCIAL MEDIA OUTREACH
WHAT WE DO
Cities are complex and require a multi-disciplinary approach to decode and work with them. As a team of passionate urbanists, we come with a collective experience that spans across all aspects and scales of development and also from conceptualization to implementation. Our work at UDC usually involves but is not limited to-
- DOCUMENTING THE EVOLUTION & GROWTH OF CITIES AND MAINTAIN REPOSITORIES OF INFORMATION ON VARIOUS ASPECTS OF CITY PLANNING AND DESIGN FOR OPEN-SOURCE DISSEMINATION.
- CREATING PERMANENT & TEMPORARY URBAN INTERVENTIONS RANGING FROM REGIONAL PLANS, MASTER PLANS, STATION AREA PLANS, TOD PLANS AND STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT PLANS TO URBAN ART INSTALLATIONS.
- CONDUCTING/HOSTING SEMINARS, PARTICIPATORY WORKSHOPS, FIELD TRIPS, EXHIBITIONS AND TRAINING / EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMES FOR VARIOUS STAKEHOLDER GROUPS TO RAISE AWARENESS OF WHAT MAKES LIVABLE CITIES.
- COLLABORATING ON PROJECTS/INITIATIVES WITH DIVERSE PARTNERS INCLUDING ULBS, EDUCATION AND RESEARCH-BASED INSTITUTIONS, NGOS AND PUBLIC/ PRIVATE ORGANISATIONS FROM AREAS INCLUDING ARTS, CULTURE, NATURAL AND BUILT HERITAGE- AS LONG AS THERE IS A MUTUALLY AGREEABLE AGENDA FOR CREATING LIVABLE CITIES.
- IMPROVING THE UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT MAKES BETTER CITIES THROUGH PUBLISHED MATERIAL ON BEST PRACTICES IN URBAN DESIGN, PLANNING AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT.
If you are looking for a committed team to work on any of the above, do write to us at
Our collaborators/patrons so far include-
The Center for the Living City, USA
Goethe Institut- Chennai
Synergy International, Qatar| UAE| India| UK| Cyprus
Indo-German Centre for Sustainability, Chennai
Global Studio, CSUD Columbia University, USA
School of Architecture and Planning, Chennai, India
Hindustan University, Chennai, India
The University of Sheffield, UK
School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada
INTACH Tamil Nadu
Snuff Puppets, Australia
People for Pondicherry Heritage
Jane Jacobs Walk, Utah, USA
Jane’s Walk, Toronto, Canada
Prastara, Chennai, India
MOD Institute, Bangalore, India
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, Chennai, India
Bambaram Toy Library, Chennai, India
Triple O Studio, Chennai
The Goa Project
The Startup Centre
Vettiver Collective, Chennai
MOAD- The Madras Office for Architects and Designers, Chennai
Uru Art Harbour