UDC was invited to conduct this workshop on Urban Participation and Intervention at the Indo-German Urban Mela in Chennai, with the objective of highlighting the importance of public participation in the process of building cities.
- Increase awareness about current planning conditions
- Identify community assets, issues, and joint opportunities
- Identify potential partnerships between citizens and stakeholders – government departments / agencies, experts, and NGOs
- Share knowledge on initiatives, projects (past or ongoing), and proposals that already exist to address major challenges
- Identify specific interventions that can serve as solutions or recommendations
- Document and present community opinion to decision makers
Participants were divided into groups under the three themes – Water, Waste, City. UDC facilitators led each group, and were in charge of enabling discussions and encouraging idea generation.
Facilitators worked with a framework of ‘Preserve, Change, Create, Connect’ for each of theme, and each group created a wish-list based on the questions:
What to preserve from the existing scenario?
What to change in the future?
What to create new?
What is fragmented in the existing scenario that would work better if connected?